Monday, July 11, 2016

Being Helpful or an Annoyance?

I hadn't realized so much time had passed since my last posting.  I haven't been to any yoga training this year, opting not to attend the YogaFit Mind Body Conference in Minneapolis in June.  I think I was a bit burnt out from all the workshops I attended last year and needed a break from travel.  

This post topic has been bumping around in my head for a while and I decided to update the blog and jot down my thoughts at the same time.

Background:  I'm an instructor and student.  I understand what it's like to be in a room that is quickly filling up, new faces need welcoming and orienting, regulars saying hi and wanting to catch up, people chatting with mat neighbors (building community!), music needs to be started, doors closed and announcements made.  It can get unexpectedly busy

Situation:  I had the opportunity to attend a class recently (yay!) and the above happened.  It was well after the official start of class, I was next to the door, and, as a courtesy, got up to shut the door and turn off the foyer light.  A small thing.  I've done it before and usually get a nod of thanks from the instructor. 

This time I had the opposite effect than what I had intended.

The instructor rushed over, telling me to sit down and that she would take care of it, that I should enjoy being there without doing "teacher" duties. 

The impression I received was one of annoyance, that she wanted to be able to control the door/class setting and I had stepped on her toes.

This made me reassess my actions: 
  • Was I being helpful or inadvertently sending a message about her time or class management?
  • Was I being helpful or impinging upon her need to be in control?  
  • Was I being helpful or causing her undo stress/anxiety because she wasn't accommodating another instructor.
I have no way of knowing with out asking, and our paths rarely cross if at all.  My intent was simply to help: instructor is busy with a full and boisterous class; I'm next to the door, I can shut the door.  

Ultimately, I can only control my actions, motives, and responses and if the above situation arises again, let it be. 

From the Bhagavad Gita, in which Krishna shares one of the teachings that has always resonated with me: ‘Let your concern be with action alone, and never with the fruits of action. Do not let the results of action be your motive, and do not be attached to inaction’.

Krishna







No comments: