Monday, July 6, 2015

YogaFit Training: Level 5

Over the weekend of June 25 through June 28 I attended YogaFit's Minneapolis Mind Body Fitness Conference.  This was my third year attending, my first year where I didn't stay at the hotel but opted to commute.  While I love staying in downtown Minneapolis, being on-site to take morning/evening classes, and eating out - the cost of staying and parking at the downtown Hilton became cost prohibitive.  So I stayed with family and took the light rail into downtown.

Level 5 training is considered the culmination of the previous four trainings:
  • Level 1 - Foundations of Safety for Personal Practice and Teaching  (Training/Foundations)
  • Level 2 - Communication and Breathing (Communications)
  • Level 3 - Meditation and Hands on Adjustments (Introspection)
  • Level 4 - Sanskrit, Bhagavad Gita, Sutras, Chakras and Chanting (Traditions and Integration)
  • Level 5 - Being Present and Emotional Healing (Being Present)
This session is not as intense as previous sessions, but I say that with a caveat - for some people looking inward and acknowledging what lies within could perhaps be the greatest challenge that person could face.  

This final level was more approachable because there was less poses to learn, no Sanskrit to memorize and pronounce, less homework, less group work (always a positive for my introverted self), the required reading was not as intense, just...less outward expectations.

What we did cover was: 
  • We reviewed the koshas
  • The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
  • Seven Signs of Self-Sabotaging Behaviors
  • The movie The Secret
  • and using/reading positive affirmations 
Each day we had a Master Class - a physical yoga class that incorporates that levels poses.  Saturday class was lead by YogaFit founder and director Beth Shaw.  Sunday class was lead by our instructor Sandy.  I always enjoy the master classes because a) they are a good reminder of how a strong, steady and well structured flow class can accommodate a "general population" or mixed group class and b) I get inspiration for my classes.

Required and Recommended reading for this class included:
  • Your Body Speaks Your Mind by Deb Shapiro  (required)
  • Growing the Positive Mind  Dr. William K. Larkin (recommended)
  • Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (recommended) 
I did read Your Body Speaks Your Mind and strongly recommend (if you do this training) get a copy from the library before purchasing. 

Overall, a good training session.  Recommended if you've taken Level 1-4.






2 comments:

Carrie said...

Hi, Kristin! I just finished YogaFit Level 5 in Dallas, Tx this weekend. In November, I am finally taking Anatomy & Alignment 1 in Tuscaloosa, AL. Your description of the class really makes me want to do a good bit of "pre-study". In October, I'll probably take Seniors, in Oklahoma. After these last two classes, I will be done with my 200-hr training! Yippee! I'm looking forward to following your blog. Carrie from Arkansas.

Kristin said...

Hi Carrie, thank you for "stopping by"!

Congrats on finishing your Level 5!

Last time I looked, I have either the Level 1 retrain or Wounded Warrior option and Seniors. I'm taking a four day anatomy workshop with Leslie Kaminoff in August so I probably won't finish the 200hr till next years Mpls MBF.

I don't have as many YF options living as far north as I do, not without some significant traveling, so its taking me a bit longer. Which is okay - I can enjoy the journey!

Namaste, Kristin