Monday, June 29, 2015

YogaFit Training: Anatomy and Alignment II

A very busy spring having my kitchen remodeled has meant a neglected blog, but I plan to be back somewhat more regularily now that things are calming down. 

It was YogaFit's Mind Body Fitness Conference in Minneapolis this past weekend, running from Thurs thru Sunday.  I took two different sessions this year,  Anatomy and Alignment II on Thursday and Friday (I posted here about Anatomy and Alignment I)  and Level 5: Unification on Saturday and Sunday.   The nice thing about the MBF's is being able to take several trainings all in one weekend. 
 
For this session we had Sandy from Utah.  Another amazing Master Instructor.


Sandi has been in fitness since 1985 and ACE certified since 1986. Her love for the industry has brought many opportunities. She has been a Fitness manager for several health clubs. She has her own business providing Wellness programs for companies in the Salt Lake area. She provides services like health fairs, ergonomic reviews, fitness center management, group fitness classes and personal training. Sandi has taught group fitness for all of the 20 plus years she has been in the business. She teaches step, aerobics, group strength training, cycle, pilates and of course YogaFit.

Her first YogaFit training was in 1998 with Beth Shaw in California in the old YogaFit Studio in Hermosa. This began a move to bring YogaFit and all ins benefits to Salt Lake City. I was a candidate to become a trainer because I took level 1 about 6 times, because I loved it so much. Since then she has been in nearly every state in the union teaching the YogaFit style. I have learned more in my association with YogaFit and in my travels and meeting all the wonderful people who come to trainings than I could ever teach anyo
ne.
 
Sandi has been in fitness since 1985 and ACE certified since 1986. Her love for the industry has brought many opportunities. She has been a Fitness manager for several health clubs. She has her own business providing Wellness programs for companies in the Salt Lake area. She provides services like health fairs, ergonomic reviews, fitness center management, group fitness classes and personal training. Sandi has taught group fitness for all of the 20 plus years she has been in the business. She teaches step, aerobics, group strength training, cycle, pilates and of course YogaFit.

Her first YogaFit training was in 1998 with Beth Shaw in California in the old YogaFit Studio in Hermosa. This began a move to bring YogaFit and all ins benefits to Salt Lake City. I was a candidate to become a trainer because I took level 1 about 6 times, because I loved it so much. Since then she has been in nearly every state in the union teaching the YogaFit style. I have learned more in my association with YogaFit and in my travels and meeting all the wonderful people who come to trainings than I could ever teach anyone. - See more at: http://www.yogafit.com/about-yogafit/team/master-trainers/#sthash.iYlS2aNs.dpuf
Sandi has been in fitness since 1985 and ACE certified since 1986. Her love for the industry has brought many opportunities. She has been a Fitness manager for several health clubs. She has her own business providing Wellness programs for companies in the Salt Lake area. She provides services like health fairs, ergonomic reviews, fitness center management, group fitness classes and personal training. Sandi has taught group fitness for all of the 20 plus years she has been in the business. She teaches step, aerobics, group strength training, cycle, pilates and of course YogaFit.

Her first YogaFit training was in 1998 with Beth Shaw in California in the old YogaFit Studio in Hermosa. This began a move to bring YogaFit and all ins benefits to Salt Lake City. I was a candidate to become a trainer because I took level 1 about 6 times, because I loved it so much. Since then she has been in nearly every state in the union teaching the YogaFit style. I have learned more in my association with YogaFit and in my travels and meeting all the wonderful people who come to trainings than I could ever teach anyone. - See more at: http://www.yogafit.com/about-yogafit/team/master-trainers/#sthash.iYlS2aNs.dpuf
It was stressed again that:  
We must adapt the poses to fit our unique bodies. 

No two of us are alike in size, shape, skeletal build, muscular build, strength, or flexibility.  There is is no "ideal pose".  There is no such thing as a "perfect pose".   Once a teacher and/or practitioner can wrap their head around that, as Pattabhi Jois would say "Practice and all is coming. 

So what did we cover in our two days of Anatomy and Alignment?  
  • Joint mobility and stability
  • Moving origins and insertion points
  • Methods of stretching muscles which include: Ballistic, Passive, Facilitated, and Dynamic
  • Muscle spindles and stretch reflexes
  • Mula Bandha, Uddiyana bandha, Jalandhara bandha
  • Padha and Hasta bandha
  • Skeletal Anatomy
  • Compression and tension
  • Q-angle of men and women's hips/femurs
  • Benefits to the brain and cardiovascular system
It was a lot of information for a couple of days.  Part of it was review from Level I, which was greatly appreciated because, as the saying goes, if you don't use it, you lose it.  Or, repetition, repetition, repetition.  

We used these two awesome books by Dr. Ray Long:  
The Key Muscles of Yoga
The Key Poses of Yoga

and this book:
Anatomy and Asana by Suzy Hately 

Sandy made the class interesting and the topic approachable.  I didn't leave feeling overwhelmed that I have to incorporate everything into my classes right now.  If there are a couple things I can bring back, fantastic! More will come as I can absorb and integrate.  

If you are teaching or intend to teach - I strongly recommend taking either the YogaFit or some other kind of anatomy class.  Your class will be better for it. 
 

1 comment:

Mighty Isis said...

Thanks for the update! I took the A&A I this year and want to take the A&A II.

I look forward to reading your review of Level 5, which I'm scheduled for later this year.


I've heard that Sandi is awesome - lucky you!