Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's Okay to be Alone

I recently read a newsy blurb on 7 Reasons Why it's Okay to be Alone on a Saturday Night.
based off of an excerpt from a post by Erin Meanley, who writes for the Glamour.com love and relationships blog, Smitten.  Granted, this was geared toward women, but  I couldn't see a reason why it shouldn't apply to everyone.


Then I got to thinking, this is a good idea all around.  For some of us, this comes very naturally.  We love the downtime 'being alone' offers.  We're not beholden to anyone, we don't have to 'go with the flow', we don't have to 'put on our game face'.  We can just 'be'. 


So taking inspiration from Ms. Meanley list, here's one for us:


1. (This is from Erin's list, a good place to start) You are making yourself a more desirable person.  
Take this time-out to recharge your batteries...make yourself happy. When you understand your own feelings and behavior, or you do things to please yourself, you're more likely to be a pleasure to be around.


2. You can take the opportunity to try new foods and meals without spousal, familial, or peer pressure. 
Most of us have been here - a new drink, food, or dish has caught our attention.  But the family/spouse/friends just don't understand why you would ever want to try "it".  Now is your opportunity to indulge.  And by trying new foods we keep the taste buds happy and the mind open to new experiences.

3. Tackle unfinished projects.
Erin's blog notes: Get up...and accomplish something that will make you feel confident or productive. You could go to the gym, a church service..., or even tackle some long neglected craft project or household project.  Maybe a book has been clamoring for attention - grab a cuppa and head out to the porch for a little quiet time. 

4. Go for a long walk, bike ride, or do a morning asana practice and meditation.
Stay active and healthy while giving the mind a break.

5. (Erin's blog)  Remember that you are choosing some reflective time! You're not being sidelined. You're not being lazy. You're not unpopular. You could find something to do or invite someone somewhere if you really wanted to. And don't let people make you feel guilty — I hate guilt trips. Sometimes you just can't! This was your choice. You're the boss. Now own it.
If you think you're not doing enough, you're just creating stress for yourself, and people pick up on that. So relax. Put up your feet. If it makes you feel better, [plan out your downtime].

Conversely, perhaps you've been spending a lot of time by yourself.  For instance, the Husband was deployed twice overseas, totalling three years.  It was just me and my hounds.  This was a good time for me to reconnect with acquaintances: Saturday morning yoga social; Saturday lunches with a good friend; book group; snowshoeing and dinner with another friend; organized group hikes in the summer time; and biking with my 'team'.   

It's all about finding balance and moderation in our daily lives.

So how do you find time to recharge your batteries?


Matthew Sweeny

2 comments:

Hilary Buckwalter said...

I love this Kristin! What a great reminder!

yogiclarebear.com said...

I adore alone time, and take it religiously, daily, and with no regrets. I schedule my "life" around my recharge time. I suck at "life" unless I take care of myself (and even then I still suck a lot, ha!) so I make alone-rechard time a priority. Meditation, yoga practice, reading, cleaning and cooking...I like to stick to simple things.