Monday, November 1, 2010

A Childs Song

Remember this one?   I won't make you do the little hand motions that go with it.  Maybe you've been singing it to your little ones.

Head Fingers Knees and Toes
Knees and Toes
Head Fingers Knees and Toes
Knees and Toes!
Eyes and Ears and Mouth and Nose
Head Fingers Knees and Toes!
Knees and Toes!


I was contemplating how applicable this simple song is for a yoga practice:
Are the head and neck relaxed?  Fingers active?  Are the knees slightly bent to prevent hyper extension or to relieve pressure on the hamstrings?  Are the toes gripping or lightly floating? 

Are the eyes turned inward?  Are the ears open to listen?  Mouth closed for ujjayi breath?  Breath moving in and out of the nose. 

I sometimes have folks sing Row Row Row Your Boat during Navasana...I could shake things up by singing this one instead...

Either way, what a fun way to remember to do a full systems check in each posture.

4 comments:

yogiclarebear.com said...

I like the new blog look Kristin! I always sang this song as "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes." Either way, good tool of awareness.

Sometimes in Navasana I like to have everyone share what kind of boat they are today...tug boat, barge, canoe, dinghy, sailboat...etc.

Thanks for sharing your musings for keeping it light! :)

Kristin said...

Hi Clare,

I think I learned it both ways, not sure how that happened?

I like the idea of asking 'what kind of boat we are today?'. I think my folks would like that better than singing - I tell them if they don't sing then we are going to keep rowing! ;)

Lynn said...

Hey I just read your comment on Dee's blog abt the fire truck and I just KNEW one of your favorite movies was Serenity. Shiny!!

Horst Lindenau said...

hello Kristin,
just found your blog by luck. have bookmarked it and will come back to read more.