Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Yoga at Home or on the Road



Perhaps I'm an odd duck...well, I already know I am...but we're just confirming it yet again today. Even though I teach classes and I am fully capable of sequencing poses, I don't care to do it for myself at home. Oh, perhaps after a afternoon of cycling or hiking I may spend 20 minutes moving through a variety of stretches, but to do something longer is more involved than I care for.

I've found I much prefer on-line, video, or audio options. Doing my own isn't as relaxing as I would like. My brain is chattering away about the sequence, should I do this or that next? Oh, I should have done blank instead. Drat, well I can add it in here after I do this...and so on and so forth. Maybe some of you have experienced this too?

I thought with this post I would highlight some of the videos and podcasts that I gravitate to when I do a home or on the road session.

Yoga Today. A free weekly on-line yoga class. The style and location changes each week; I've done anusara, hatha, vinyasa and ashtanga based sessions. Format is usually two students and one instructor in some beautiful western location. Directions and suggested modifications are usually pretty good. Some of the instructor 'chatter' can be a bit much depending on style/individual, but hey, it's only an hour and it's not like I have to take that session again. Base option is free and you pay if you want to save and download that particular class. Sign-up for more options. Recommended if you like a variety of sessions and have an hour to practice.

Yoga Journal podcasts and videos. I have i-Tunes so I signed up for regular downloads. Couple things I like about these sessions: shorter lengths and varied sessions that target specific things. Sometimes I just don't want to do a full hour or hour and a half session. I just want something that will make my hips and back feel better. Something that will relax me before bed but doesn't involved another hour out of my day. These fit that requirement.

I-tunes. When I bought my i-Pod, I had no idea all the wonderful things I could do with it beyond listening to my music! There are free yoga sessions available! Woot! It takes a bit of searching and some experimenting with the instructor - what style do they offer? Is it something I'm comfortable with? Do their instructions make sense or is it all sanskrit? Two that I've found in the power/vinyasa category are: Wade Zinter and Baron Baptiste as led by Kinndli McDonnal. These are also great to do with a group if you have portable speakers for your i-Pod.

Videos. I am not usually a fan of videos, especially for beginners as the tendency is to watch the video and thus be craning the head and neck when one shouldn't. That being said, they do have their place in a yoga practice. I recently uploaded all my video's to my i-pod so I can take them on the road with me. I don't need to see what's happening on my 1x1.5" screen, but the verbal cues are nice.

My CD and Video collection includes:
Rocket Series II by Larry Shultz of It's Yoga, San Francisco
Primary Series Ashtanga Yoga by David Swenson
Primary Series Ashtanga Yoga by Manju Jois
Bryan Kest Power Yoga Complete DVD Three energizing sessions.
Yin Yoga: the Foundations of a Quiet Practice by Paul Grilley
Yoga Sanctuary by Shiva Rae

And for mediation, I gravitate to Common Grounds Mediation Center (Minneapolis, MN)downloads as led by Mark Numburg. These are in the Buddhist philosophy in the Vipassana tradition.


Are there any other recommended sites from blog-world? A CD or DVD in particular resonate with you? Or perhaps something else from i-Tunes?

2 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

i adore Yogaglo. I know I've talked about it before- but I really like how it's a real class- the teacher is actually teaching the class and you can see the other students. No weird voice over or random 'back up' yogi(ni)s.

plus it's so flexible- you can choose classes from anusara to yin to kundalini from 5 to 120min and three different levels of difficulty.

love love it :)

yogiclarebear.com said...

Hi Kristin,

Thanks for highlighting these. I’m also a fan of audio classes (more over video, although I hold dear my collection of Eoin Finn DVD’s). As a yoga teacher, sometimes I can and do get into my own flows, but more often than not I find myself stopping and starting as I write ideas and “edit” what I want to present to my classes, putting myself in “teacher practice” mode instead of yoga practice mode. So, while this is important and beneficial for me, also important is that we are able, as instructors, to have our own practice, as free as we can from “teacher mode.”

I love the YogaJournal podcasts too and also appreciate the shorter lengths. i-Tunes is awesome. I’ve liked Dave Farmar for a power format, as well as Yoga to the People. I’m a big fan of www.yogadownload.com too.

Thank you so much for the link to Common Grounds. I’ve been looking for some audio meditation and guides. I’d like to share another resource for yoga nidra, which I haven’t tried yet but am looking forward too: http://www.yogacheryl.com/yoganidra.html

Of course for written format resource, I have many flows on my own blog.

Thanks for sharing Kristin! God bless.