Monday, June 28, 2010

Yin Yoga Posting from Do Restorative Yoga


A series of conversations with a couple of fellows I bike with and a recent post by Do Restorative Yoga made me decide to link to Sara's blog rather than what I had originally planned.

Yo! Ashtangi's! Vinyasa nuts! Bikram followers! ((me jumping up and down waving my arms))

Athletes! Yeah! You! Us "A type" overachieving personalities need to bring some balance back into our lives and practice. As a recent bicycling article noted (sorry, I don't recall which one), "All of your training isn't going to leak out your big toe if you don't [bike,run,swim,jog,ski] for one or two days."

Yin Yoga from Yoga Journal

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Periodically slooww your practice down. Take a Yin class if you can. You will still find it challenging, just in a different way than you are accustomed to.



We all need to periodically rest - a full complete day of downtime physically. The muscles need to rebuild and the joints heal. This is part of what makes us stronger in the long run.

So please, my fellow athletes and practitioners. Practice ahimsa (non-harming) on yourself and bring in a slower practice.


2 comments:

Emma said...

YES. thank you. now to just help all my type a university-ites listen...

Raghav Singh said...

Yoga is the natural way to stay happy, healthy and stress free. It is the best home exercises you can do around the house.
Rishikesh Yoga Teacher Training