Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gita Talk on Elephant Journal: Introduction


As I mentioned in my previous post, Bob Weisenburg over on Elephant Journal has initiated an online discussion of the Bhagavad Gita. They are reading the Stephan Mitchell version of the Gita and have just started discussing the introduction.

I have the Eknath Eswaran version (two copies) and didn't wish to purchase a third copy. Which means my introduction is much much different. But that's okay. The important thing is the discussion.

I read the Gita for the first time several years ago as part of a workshop held through my local yoga studio (ha! L Y S! except that also stands for Local Yarn Store in my world...) WHY? read the Bhagavad Gita? If you are a practitioner of yoga and are looking to move beyond the asana practice, I think this is a great place to start. The Gita really distills what it means to practice yoga beyond the mat in layman's terms. It's not a long text or document, but it really conveys some very profound concepts.

I'm looking forward to the ongoing discussions; please join in if you can.

1 comment:

Bob Weisenberg said...

Wow, two blogs in a row. Thanks for your support.

I've the wonderful Easwaren edition of the Gita right here as well. You won't be at a disadvantage following that one. Most of the themes of Mitchell's introduction are evident in the "Gita Talk" discussion. As you may be aware, I recommend the Easwaran "Upanishads" on my website.

A note to your readers. It's never too late to join in a "Gita Talk" discussion. Each one is designed to be open indefinitely for anyone to comment on. And I get e-mail notification when there is a new comment, so I'm always there.

Bob Weisenberg
ElephantJournal.com