Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bitter-Sweet Partings

I live, teach and practice in a college town - actually, we have four colleges in the area which always surprises me given the population of Duluth-Superior. It also means that we get a fair number of students passing through the studio. I love the energy and enthusiasm they bring - sharing what they are studying, places they've gone, hopes and plans for the future.

And for a brief moment in time, they share the road with us, and us with them.

But studies and tests and books eventually come to an end and it's always sad to hear their time with the group is up and they are moving on. Sometimes the member says something to the group and we're able to wish them well, other times, they just quietly drift away.

Either way, I'm glad they came and wish each of them well in their future endeavors!

LOKAH SAMASTA SUKHINO BHAVANTU :: May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all.

(from Shiny Yoga's site, but a far older quote than that!)

4 comments:

Emma said...

ithaca, too. i wish them all well in the next stage!

yogiclarebear.com said...

Oh Kristin this speaks to my heart! I'm "losing" many from the local college here that have come to be good friends and wonderful practitioners. It is very bitter-sweet. Sweet that our paths crossed, and I have been so blessed by these students. Thanks for posting this. (Madonna did an amazing song with lokah samasta sukhino bhavantu but it is impossible to find. Let me know if you would like me to send it to you!)

J said...

Kristin, I always loved your class and Yoga North. I think that will always be a part of me. I miss Duluth and the people there very much.
-Jason

Danette said...

hi kristin, just came across your blog for the first time this morning and have really enjoyed reading your posts, especially this one! i was consoling my 3rd. grader last night on her last day of school. she was absolutely wrecked over leaving a beloved teacher and in explaining how everything changes, i used the example of having students move on on the path of yoga. being a teacher i love my students so much and i will sometimes dread the reality that people do and should grow and move on. your being in a college town with that amount of flux, must be quite challenging in that regard! thank you so much for sharing these insights! i spend some time each summer up in lutsen (i'm from chicago) and would love to stop by your studio on my way thru duluth. also, check out my blog madhuriyoga.com. have a lovely day ~ namaste, danette