Saturday, December 19, 2009

Vortex of Busy-ness

Rather an odd thought for the week:

I am beginning to wonder...is it even possible to step away from the swirling Vortex of Busy-ness during the Holidays? Even with the scaling back I did this year, which included not decorating, no holiday cards, and minimal gifts, I still find myself running hither and tither while feeling frazzled and annoyed. My few evening hours just don't seem to be my own. There is dried fruit to make, dinner to assemble, hounds to exercise (who aren't getting enough), knitting to do, house to tidy...

I've said no to skiing outings, no to breakfast and dinner invites. I've rationed family time so I'm not making extra trips into town (downside of living 30 miles outside of the City). Errands are done on the way home from work - which means I'm getting home late.

Work I can do very little about. Similar to tax accountants in April, this is my crunch time. But I don't take work home with me! I am fortunate that what goes on at work can stay at work. And I hold my lunch gym runs as sacred "get out of the office time".

I'm being mindful, attempting to maintain an attitude of gratitude, paying attention to my mood swings and making sure I thank people.

And yet, the Swirling Vortex of Busy-ness looms like a bad special effect in a science fiction movie. Perhaps it's just a matter of waiting till the Holiday rush is over. All I can do at this point is wait and see.

1 comment:

La Gitane said...

Isn't it funny how this season which is supposed to be about Peace, somehow sweeps by us and leaves us panting? Hope you have found time to enjoy it!

I enjoy your blog - best wishes for a great 2010!

La Gitane
http://yogagypsy.blogspot.com