Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Morning Interlude



Like many folks, I spend a lot of time on the computer. Too much time in my opinion, but that's how it goes. I have however, been trying to limit my computer time at home - which is a bit of an oxymoron as I sit here on a Saturday morning typing up this post.

It's not that I spend an inordinately HUGE amount of time on the computer at home, but I have found myself checking e-mail or perusing blogs over breakfast and dinner (I dine alone)and that rather defeats the whole "being in the moment" concept. I'm not paying attention to the nice meal I just made, my poor hounds are waiting patiently for me to read 'just one more post' before they are fed or we go outside to play. And I cannot forget to mention the absolutely beautiful morning weather I am missing by staring at a flat screen instead of watching the sunlight drift through the leaves and mist.

So I have made an intent to turn away from the computer and eat my breakfast outside, or at the very least at the kitchen table. At 6:30 in the morning the mosquitoes can be quite feisty. Weekdays I don't have a lot of time, but even 15 minutes can make a difference. How you start your morning will carry with you all day.

Weekends though become like a miniature retreat, an hour or hour and a half to just sit. This Saturday I lit the mosquito repelant candles, grabbed my tea and breakfast, and my current study: the Dhammapada by Eknath Eswaran and I sat outside taking that precious "rest between the busy-ness".



To just take a moment and watch the hounds run around and play and hunt. To laugh when Kia-dog "gets a bee up her bonnet" and runs around all crazy like, tongue hanging out and a silly ass grin on her face. To listen to the migrating warblers. The occasional car going by on the road. The far of sounds of a train. The not quite so far off sounds of a highway being torn-up and re-done. The soft rustle of the leaves in the morning breeze.

My world. My moment. Impermanent and perfect.

2 comments:

TINA VAUGHN said...

I can relate to this--I find myself pulling back from time to time, recognizing that I am wasting my precious time becoming involved in the constant stream of updates from blogs or other social networking sites.

It takes a firm resolve--your morning retreats sound blissful!

Tina

yogiclarebear said...

so great! ive been doing something similar on my mornings...just reading a chapter or two in my book and sipping tea. sometimes im on the front porch watching the kids wait for the schoolbus, sometimes in the backyard listening to the birds. isn't it interesting how birds sound in the morning? they sing songs that are ONLY morning songs. glad you are finding some quiet, "non computer" moments if that is what your heart is wanting. :)