Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Clean Mats

Yoga North Studio was on break the last couple of weeks, and I decided this was a great time to clean my mats. I use three: one at home, one at the studio, and one for the Y. I'm very particular about using my own mat, but I'm not very good about keeping it as clean as I should.

However, I made an intention while on break to wash all my mats! It has been absolutely beautiful outside and I decided this would be a good time to spray down the mats, let them air dry and have the sun dry and disinfect.

Ecoygini has a great article here: How to Best Clean Your Mat and an unfortunate lesson learned on reacting to essential oils.

I used this concoction this weekend. It's actually a basic cleaner I use in my bathroom and around the house.

1/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 tsp detergent (liquid laundry preferred)

Mix in a spray bottle. Lasts indefinitely.


The detergent helps to break down grease and oils, while the vinegar acts as a disinfectant and helps to prevent the detergent from sticking. Plus the vinegar is a natural deodorizer for a mat that has become a bit...fragrant.

I also add a just few drops of lavender essential oil to my mixture, but I know I don't react. I sprayed my mats down, wiped them off with a cotton dishcloth, and repeated. Then I let dry in the sun for a hour or two.

Some people swear that running a mat through the washing machine and letting air dry does wonders, but unless you have a front loading wash machine, I would think the swishy-swishy action of the tumbler would wreak havoc on your poor mat.

Yes, there are concerns about putting a mat in the sun, but I reasoned that for the hour it was drying, it would do more benefit than harm.

So I'm ready for Fall session to begin!

Adding a postscript: Check out Ecoygini's results on To Wipe or Wash one's mat. It was very eyeopening!

2 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

what a fantastic recipe! and a nice reminder that i should wash my mat... LOL. sans tea tree oil. I think I will use you recipe here! :)

Kristin said...

Thanks!

Recipe came from: Better Basics for the Home by Annie Berthold-Bond. "Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living"