Friday, July 31, 2009

Finding Balance

The topic of balance seems to be a prevalent one for me this week as I'm trying to find balance between work, house chores and projects, yoga, puppies, and the odd moment or two for relaxing.

In yoga I've been playing around with a balance sequence I learned at the Matthew Sweeney workshop where one transitions from Utthita Padangusthasana (Hand to Big Toe pose) to Natarajasana (Dancer Pose) and back again. I don't know why this one fascinates me; maybe it has something to do with the fluidity and concentration required.

At home I've been trying to find balance between getting my daily/weekly chores done while working on some outside projects. I took it upon myself this summer to build a retaining wall. I started during a dry spell, and now, a mere 3 weeks later, it's been a project between the rainstorms. If you've ever started a landscaping project, you know that you have to keep moving otherwise you end up with other issues (like erosion which can undo all your hard work).



And there is the garden. Green, sort-of growing, and in need of cultivating and
weeding. If it ever stops raining.



But what really grabbed my attention was Lolly's post on balance this week: Lolly Knitting Around.

Here is an excerpt: Finding balance – no matter what kind of balance it is: emotionally, figuratively, financially, physically - can be a difficult task. There are complete self-help courses on finding the work/life balance, on balancing your relationships, balancing your finances.

One of the major draws for people interested in yoga is learning how to balance – both balancing on one foot (or one hand!) but also finding the balance in your own life to avoid stress. Personally, yoga has helped me greatly in this way: balancing my emotions (not as quick to anger or sadness), as well as feeling more stability as I physically walk through the world.



When you think about it, learning to be balanced is more than just trying to stand on one foot. When were feeling balanced in all aspects of our lives, we're more centered, grounded, and open to new possibilities and opportunities emotionally and physically.

Go ahead, give it a try. I think you'll like being balanced too, and remember, it's okay to fall down. Just get back up again!

4 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

What a beautiful garden!

yup= balance is a tough one, and that group of postures was the first that Andrew noticed a marked difference after practicing yoga for a while :)

Yay being able to hold Tree!!

that sequence sounds interesting- i'm not sure i'd be able to do it, but it would be fun to try :)

Lolly said...

Lovely garden shots! we haven't had that much rain lately, so I am happy to know that you have!

Thanks for mentioning my post! Balance has been on my mind a lot lately. I am going to try this Utthita Padangusthasana to Natarajasana transition that you mention. It sounds quite challenging and quite good!

Namaste~

Brenda P. said...

What I think is most exhilarating about balance poses is that you become so aware of your alignment. You can't balance when you aren't aligned, so it's a great time to enjoy the perfect line-up that allows you to stay there.

Why I LOVE Vrksasana!

yogiclarebear said...

i really like that flow too. how is balance lately?

what i really want to know is...how is your garden? :)

i think i will use the balance body-balance mind theme in my class soon as a practice focus.