Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Yoga Statistics

I recently received a catalog from GaiamPRO and on the back there was a little box with some statistics:

WHO DOES YOGA?
72% are female
60% are ages 35+
68% have an annual HH income of $75k+
71% have a college degree or higher
46% reside in a market size of 2 million+


What do you think? Accurate or no?

I think the results are a bit skewed at least from the age category on down. Think about this for a momement. Who's most likely to be online shopping for the newest trend in yoga wear? Women. With money. Who's most likely going to take a survey? A gal, who's online shopping for yoga gear.

Who's most likely going to be able to AFFORD the newest and greatest from Lulumon, Prana, pick-your-name-brand? It generally isn't your average run of the mill college kid or recent grad - it's going to be an established professional.

The guys I know don't worry about the fashion clothes. They go out, find a pair of compression shorts, a pair of sweats or shorts, a t-shirt, and they are good to go. Target, Walmart, the local running store, is where they are shopping, so no, they aren't going to be taking on-line surveys.

So my observation is, is it even be possible to get an accurate survey of who's doing yoga?

3 comments:

Thomas Peterson said...

I think Gaiam might be right about their market, but in my experience this seems a little off. I see about 40% men practicing in the Y in Minneapolis.

I'm one of the guys you talk about. I get all my gear at Sport Authority, Target, etc., although I've been tempted to get a decent mat lately. It's a little difficult, however, when the majority of the mats are pink and purple, pictured with ads of slim, Gumby-flexible women, made to appeal to what they see as their target market. So, I think it may be a little bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy on the part of Gaiam. They think their market is 72% women, so that's who they market to, estranging those outside of that demographic, including me.

Eco Yogini said...

I agree with you and Thomas- the problems with surveys is how they are done. They usually are inaccurate and have little actual literature that supports them as a methodology to acquire information. Unfortunately, they can use it how they want without explaining.

One thing I do think is relevant is the income. Right now I'm looking at yoga classes and think- who the "f" can afford them??? I most certainly can't even afford a weekly class. With the amount of debt I have and living in a single income family, there is no way I can pay for a 16$ class every single week. So I go to community classes and karma classes... and sort of studio hop. it's actually a terrible feeling to do this, scrabbling at free yoga bits, while I know many studios are using them to acquire new "real" clientele in these tough times.

Kristin said...

Thanks for your thoughts - I was beginning to wonder if I was waaayy out in left field or something.

Was that $16 Canandian or US? I guess it doesn't matter. There are places in the Minneapolis/St. Paul that charge $20 (US dollars) for a walk-in. Talk about expensive! :o

Here in Duluth, people tend to look more at how LONG does it take to get to the studio - a 30 minute drive is considered "a long way". Just the more rural aspect I guess.