Sunday, December 21, 2008

Michael Gannon @ the Yoga House

Two weekends ago I had the opportunity to attend a workshop with Michael Gannon at the Yoga House in Edina, MN. This was not one of my better workshops on a personal level - I was coming off of a bad head cold and was very concerned about an impending snowstorm that would keep me from attending the second day.

Saturday's workshop was interesting. Michael spent the first hour discussing and having us practice breath krias - or cleansing breath. Krias are quite varied and can include: breathwork, neti pot, digestive cleansing from both ends, various nose cleaning, to mention a few. He focused on several variants of Greater Uddianya Bandha. I was fine as long as we didn't do too much alternate nostril breathing, one side of my sinus cavity was stuffed tighter than a stuffed animal.

From there we moved into the Primary Series and the Secondary Series. Usually I am thrilled at any opportunity to work on this sequence, but by the time we moved into second series, I hit a mental wall and my system just shut down on me. I had no strength left. None. Zippo. Nada. Nothing. Very frustrating.

So I'm not sure what I think of Mr. Gannon. I liked the discussion and practice with the krias, but because I was only able to go one day and I was not feeling well, it is hard for me to say if I liked his style.

This weekend is also going to make me leery of attending workshops in the winter for a while. While the Cities weren't impacted by this snowstorm (which was predicting 30mph winds and significant snow), Duluth was and it was a potentially horrendous drive home that made me leave Mpls a day early. But perhaps it was for the best, since I was able to just recuperate the next day, curled up on the couch with a nice hot cup of tea and the cartoon Madagascar as the snow blew and swirled outside.

No comments: