Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Musings from Austraila



As one who has great difficulty in slowing down, and as a practitioner of Ashtanga and vinyasa flow, I found Shiny Yoga's recent blog posting rather apropos: Slowing Down is Not a Waste of Time

And it's not always about the poses either. We need to learn to slow down in our day to day activities. I learned this the hard way in 2005 when the Husband and I found out he would be deployed to Iraq that Fall for 18 months. I had just started teaching yoga and I spent my summer running around teaching classes (while working full time at my regular job) and telling everyone, "I can't do this! I can't do that! Husbands getting deployed! I need to spend time with him!" But yet, I kept taking on more while saying I would spend time with him before he left...

...and then he was gone. And 18 months turned into two years. Heck of a way to learn to slow down - after the fact. But slow down I did, I was forced to. And now there is a chance he'll be going back for another year and this time I am paying attention to my actions and activities and making the effort to connect before it's too late.

For me, it was learning how to knit. Really. I'm not pinging around the house doing this and that when I am knitting. I am sitting there, minding my stitches, often next to the Husband while he watches TV or upstairs with him while he's on the computer. That was what he wanted - for me to just be there.

So as we move into this holiday season with the "must do's" and "have to's", stop and take a look at what you are doing. Seriously. Just stop for a moment. Grab a cup of coffee and the calendar. What can you do to slow down and reconnect with those around you on a more meaningful level?

Slowing down is never a waste of time.

1 comment:

shinyyoga said...

oh I love this post Kristin - and the idea of knitting. How true! You are really present whilst learning new things as well!

I hear you about yoga and running around doing classes as well - when I started teaching I was exactly the same. Here there and everywhere! It takes a while to settle into any new pursuit but great to remind ourselves to do it in a timely fashion too.

For me, just reading the sunday papers with a cup of tea has become a nice ritual for me. It's summer here in Sydney so sitting in the backyard with tea and nature, sunlight streaming down, it's such a beautiful way to stop and smell the roses, so to speak.

Thanks for sharing xx